Accounting Supervisor - National General Insurance
Employee Type: Full-Time
Location: Cleveland, OH
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Directs resolution of accounting technical problems; assists and supports staff as needed
- Reviews and approves work prepared by various staff members, including entries and reconciliations.
- Maintains journals or subsidiary ledgers. Analyzes and reconciles accounts; researches cause of discrepancies
- Performs financial and operating analyses
- Researches Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and statutory accounting guidance, summarizes key points, recommends associated accounting policies, entries or disclosures, and implements change as needed.
- Makes recommendations for system, process, policy and procedure changes. Follows through with recommendations to implementation.
- Assists in coordinating with internal auditors, external auditors and insurance department examiners
- Assists with and coordinates team/staff development
- Leads and participates in various special projects
- Leads and participates in implementation of new Accident and Health (A & H) initiatives
- Assists with completing necessary statutory reporting A&H insurance companies, including drafting new disclosures
- Assists with preparing external and internal GAAP financial data
- Reviews accounting issues and procedures and makes recommendations regarding the implementation of accounting policies.
- Performs additional duties as requested.
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant
- 8 plus years of accounting experience, including at least 3 years of supervisory experience
- Strong technical accounting skills, including thorough knowledge of GAAP
- Demonstrates knowledge of Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) for A&H insurance companies
- Experience with Accident and Health insurance accounting and NAIC financial reporting
- Experience drafting audited financial statements and disclosures
- Intermediate to strong Excel skills (pivot tables, filtering, etc)
- Experience in and ability to conduct technical research on new and existing accounting pronouncements
- Demonstrates a solid knowledge of the insurance industry
- Demonstrates effective writing, problem-solving and leadership skills.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of computerized accounting and financial reporting.
- Demonstrates effective communication and interaction skills
- Detail oriented, organized, ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Exhibits a high degree of initiative, mature judgment, and discretion.
- Ability to resolve conflicts and empathize with others is critical. Negotiation skills are import for resolving issues.
- Has the ability to represent the department and contribute to the strategy of executing the company objectives.
- Audit or Sarbanes Oxley testing experience
- Above average written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing long term accounting and financial projects
- Above average interpersonal skills and executive presence necessary to function effectively with multiple audiences.
- Demonstrates knowledge of SEC reporting/disclosure requirements
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A– (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Paid Training
- Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
- Wellness Programs
- Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401k w/ Company Match
- Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
- Employee Discount Program
- Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
- On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
- On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
- Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.
In the event you need assistance or accommodation in completing your online application, please contact NGIC main office by phone at (336) 435-2000.
For more information or to apply online, click here.