Intern Blog | 6 Fall & Winter Weekend trips to take from Cleveland
At Engage! Cleveland, we obviously love the city we call home, but sometimes it's nice to check out the sites outside of our beautiful city. Cleveland is just a short drive away from some of the nation's top destinations. This is only just an overview of all of the fabulous places you can travel to from Cleveland. I tried to highlight the best for late fall/early winter travel, but many more can be added for summertime trips. Let me know what else you would add by commenting or replying to us on Twitter @Engagecleveland.
- Hocking Hills, OH
- 3 hour drive
- Visitors to Hocking Hills can take advantage of a myriad of different activites. Included are hiking, fishing, horse back riding, and ziplining. Hocking Hills also has a variety of camping and lodging options. You can also take time to shop local art and antiques close to all of the camp grounds.
- Niagara Falls, NY
- 3 hours and 28 minutes drive
- Niagara falls boasts more than just a chance to see the famous falls. You can partake in boat and/or helicopter tours taking in a full view of the falls. The area around the US part of the falls has various wineries, breweries and local food to feed your hunger and thirst all weekend. If you like learning about history there are plenty of historic sites to see around the falls including the Old Fort Niagara.
- Pittsburgh, PA
- 2 hours and 20 minutes
- Pittsburgh, like Cleveland, has plenty to do and see in a weekend. Take in the sights on a bike tour, or when the weather gets colder, take inside to the Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, or the Carnegie Science Center. Head up the Duquesne Incline for a magical view of the entire city. You can also visit Frank Llyod Wright's Fallingwater or his house on Kentuck Knob.
- Ellicottville, NY
- 3 Hours
- Featuring Skiing, Snowboarding, Snow Tubing, and Snow mobiling, Ellicottville has something for everyone in the Winter. Combine that with local casinos, shopping and spas, this makes for the perfect weekend getaway. Much like the other places on my list, Ellicottville has plenty of different accommodation choices, so you can easily find something in your price range.
- Chicago, IL
- 5 hours and 20 minutes
- While Chicago is pushing the drive time for a weekend trip, I can guarantee it is worth it. From taking in the sights at Navy Pier and the famous Bean, to shopping down Michigan Ave, there is plenty to do for everyone. Make sure to go to a comedy show, and take the time to use Yelp for some great food choices.
- Finger Lake, NY
- 4 hours and 50 minutes
- The Finger Lake Region of New York state is home to more than 100 wineries and is the largest wine producing region in the United States east of California. If wine isn't your thing, theres plenty of other activities to participate in. From hiking and biking to beer tasting and apple picking, if you want to do it, you'll find it here. You can choose to stay at campgrounds, B&B's or stately hotels.
Haley Mills, Engage! Cleveland Fall Intern